Monday, February 6, 2017

3D Printing Experience

Reading Facebook once, I ran into a funny contest. It was a “whistle contest”.  Contestants were trying to create a whistle, as loud as possible .
Most of them were using 3D printing for their models.
It’s logical because it’s hard or impossible to do their fancy models in other ways.
The topic was kind of interesting for me. I read it, and I found that many of the participants used physics and math in a way which was hard for me to understand.
They were struggling hard for each 0.01 decibel (dB).

Immediately I wanted to try one of the whistles. I found last year‘s contest winner and downloaded his model.  In case if you are interested already, here is the link to the model: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1179160 

The next challenge for me was finding a 3D printer around. Never before had I used a 3D-printer.  
In fact this was the easiest part. Google easily helped me find a 3D-printer owner who lived in my neighborhood.  
I called him, and he agreed to print those whistles.  
I got three of them on the next day. They were able to produce a very loud sound indeed, but honestly I expected even more from them. 
I was slightly disappointed by this fact.

But another thing which I got was even better — an acquaintance.
The guy who I found was an interesting one, and I was very glad to have met him.
He is deep into the topic of 3D printing. He builds and sells them and has written a book about 3D printing.  He is a big enthusiast and coach.

Because of those whistles I got a fascinating lecture about 3D printers and trends for free.  Unfortunately I wasn’t able to take photos during that, but I got an agreement to do that later.
It’s a quite interesting topic as it seems for me now, and I am pretty sure I am going to get a 3D printer soon.

No comments :

Post a Comment