Saturday, October 15, 2016

Worms farm

I love fishing, I love to grow plants, and I have a fish tank, based on that info, can you guess who is my the best assistants?

Yeah, it's worms .

I have a worms population and I grow them.

They are hybrid of two breeds:
- red Californian worm
- local worms.

Red Californian is good, they multiply rapidly, they live long, but they have a crucial flaw in my case, they love warm, and they can die if temperature is above 10C.

The average annual temperature in my place is +3C. Not enough.

That's why they were bred with local worms, and now they can bear almost zero C temperature, in detriment of other advantages of course. They grow a little slower, etc.

I bought a small box with this worms several years ago, and I have a huge population of them now.

I use them to produce vermicompost as well.
That population produces something about 4-5 garden handcarts each year. It's more than I can use.

That is  a perfect fertilizer, it's proved many times.

From time to time, when I have time for that, I'm asking for damaged and dried plants in plants shop.
I put them in the bucket with vermicompost, and usually, the magic is happened.
I gave a lot of grown palm trees in kindergarten because there is no place for them anymore.

I feed worms by fallen leaves:



And I have a good assistant for that. The one who collect all the leaves.
Leaves used for two goals, first it's the fodder, the next it's a house.
We made big pile of leaves

to keep warm inside during the winter. The layer of pressed leaves is about 2 meters in height, it's enough.

Worms live in the middle of the pile, converting leaves to the vermicompost.


When there is no more leaves to eat, they migrate to another corner of the pile. That's the time to get the compost.

Worms are very conservative, they hardly can change the food which they are adapted too.
I did a lot of experiments, before I stayed with leaves. 
Some of others foods works better, but it was either hard to sustain the constant quality or it can be  more time-consuming.

This farm is very easy to maintain, I spend only a few hours an year to manage it : only a few time an year I add the leaves, and two times an year I pull the compost. Comparing to the effort, it's very profitable thing.

The worms itself are the fodder for my fish in the home aquarium, and when I had a chickens farm, the chickens loves them too. Worms are the good source of protein for birds and fish, I use it as a supplements even when I use another fodder.

It's also priceless for fishing. 



My boy likes to use fishing rod with a float and worms as a bait for fishing. It's a simple fishing, but it can be very gambling pastime.

Have I convinced you to start your own worms farm?


No comments :

Post a Comment