Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Podcasts and a riddle about statistics


I've got the significant part of my English from podcasts.
What is a podcast? Wikipedia tell us:
The word arose as a portmanteau of "iPod" (a brand of media player) and "broadcast."
A podcast is an episodic series of digital media files which a user can set up so that new episodes are automatically downloaded via web syndication to the user's own local computer or portable media player.
For a long time I'm addicted to those podcasts, and I'm waiting for new episodes passionately.
Each morning my smartphone checks all my subscription and shows me the list of new episodes for today. 
Honestly I can't listen to all of them for a long time, because I bit off more than I can chew, so for now I have a huge list of episodes to catch up.
I like some podcasts more than other and they always have the high priority for listening.
The absolute leader, the  top priority one is Teacher Luke podcast.
He is a English teacher from London, who also is a stand-up comedian.
I adore his humor and his pronunciation. 
I like his explanation for serious topics, I think he can explain everything.
If you have a time during a day when you can listen to something, I strongly recommend consider to listen to his podcasts.
I do it during my walking and cycling.
Recently I listened to this episode about British comedian Tim Vine (which is the perfect topic itself) and Luke read to his listeners the statistics about where his listeners are from:


I was surprised. Russia? Really? On the top of the list?
It can't be explained  by interest to English language, because I just can't believe in that.
During all my life I met two persons who learn English seriously here.
And I have only a few Russian acquaintances over the Internet  who do so.
There must be another explanation. 
 - Am I living in an area which don't represent "average Russia" well? What if everyone outside the are speaks perfect English as well as Russian? Unlikely!
- Do those listeners just like his humor? How they understand it then? 
- Are we hiding our ability to speak English? Why?

Could you please help me to reveal this riddle?

No comments :

Post a Comment