Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Can the politeness be excessive?

I've been listening to my morning podcast this morning when I run into the question "Can the politeness be excessive?", mostly because of this dialogue in it:









The dialogue starts at 11:51 and finished at 17:57, so its length is about 6 min.

What happened in this 6 minutes? Well one girl asked one boy return her i-pod back.

If I were here, and was an author of that scene it would be:

- Hello, Luke, give me my i-pod back please.

- Sure, here you go.

Something for  2-5 seconds long.

Also I mentioned a lot of hypocrisy or/and direct lying in the original dialogue.

For instance, girl was telling him:

- Actually, I can't remember, did I lend my i-pod to you

But it's a lie, she can remember, she is here because of that, and she knows that exactly.

How it's possible that this lying is polite and fair directness is not?

If you are lazy enough to listen to the podcast I can give your another example.

The scene:

The teacher is trying to manage multi-user conference call for a class.

One of the student has really bad sound, deafening noise which prevents communications for everyone.

From my point of view, it's polite, to disconnect that student rapidly, giving him/her a chance to realize that he/she causing a problem for many others, and probably fix it and connect back quickly, and thus save time for everyone.

Simple arithmetic works here for me, causing problem to a group of people is inappropriate  (old communist habit?)

But I have seen another picture, when the teacher trying to explain the problem to that student, waiting for a long time when this student will leave the class by himself/herself.

Since, I don't feel it might be a pleasure to hear that noise, probably there is another explanation , I reckon it must be politeness.

My questions are:

1. Are there limits for politeness? When we should stop trying.

2. The thing definitely related to the culture, but is it related to language?

3. What do you think what is the current trend for such things now, are they changing, do we simplify rules or vice-versa ?


No comments :

Post a Comment